corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » how do you budget / save

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how do you budget / save
paul.mitchell1984

User status: Offline
30th Jul 08 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just wondered how everyboy else does it

i have the issue of looign at my bank account and going hmmm i have ££ left i can buy !!!! rasther than ooo i have ££ left i should save

how do you plan your money any specific way or just leavie it in bank for whoever to take out when they need it?

random i know but im trying to clear most of my debt off by dec so i can look at buying/renting my own place
richardworrall
Premium Member

31st Jul 08 at 06:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

two jobs helps me save and do the travelling i enjoy, without the second job id be stuffed.
dannymccann

31st Jul 08 at 06:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont have debt but to save I qork out how much spare cash I will have at the end of the month after paying for essentials. Out of that spare cash I then take a reasonble amount for anything that isnt essential, for example the odd new 360/PC game, a new mouse, DVD's, something I spot on HUKD etc etc. Dont forget birthdays etc

If you are salaried its even easier cos you get the same amount per month therefore you should have roughly the same amount left over. Whats left over put a sizable chunk as a Direct Debit either per week or per month to go straight into a ISA account and voila that money builds up and you dont have to twat about moving it yourself
AndyKent

31st Jul 08 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As danny above really.

I know what my income and fixed outgoings are, I know what I allow myself to spend extra on non-essentials and the difference is saved.

I don't bother with direct debits, just have 3 accounts on my internet banking which I shuffle money around a few days after pay-day.
dannymccann

31st Jul 08 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea the only reason I use DD's is because I am a scatter brain, plus if it does it itsel barely even notice it. Im a student with a part time job, I put away £40 a week in my ISA last year alone, saved up about £1200 without realising tbh, didnt make that much difference. £40 a week for most students would get you 1 maybe 2 nights out, so instead of pissing it up the wall, quite literally, I decided to save it for something useful.
myke

31st Jul 08 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know roughly how much goes out in direct debits each month, plus roughly how much i'll need to spend on food, petrol and booze.

it normally works out about even each month, more by luck than any great planning or skill.
i don't check my balance regularly. just when my statement comes really. sometimes i spend more than i earn, sometimes it's vice versa, but i rarely 'save' anything.
i certainly should do, but it doesn't happen.

having a lodger helps keep me doing most of what i want to do. i'd have to scrimp a lot more and turn down offers out if i was just on my own earnt income.
dannymccann

31st Jul 08 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is though if you are balancing your income this means you 'cant' save, unless there is any way you could cut back on non-essentials.
Ben G

31st Jul 08 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a sheet of paper with things like car insurance, car finance, housekeeping, phone bill on and i tick the box every month i have paid that.

i know how much my outgoings each month are that way and i know how much i will have left for petrol, food, going out etc after that.

easiest way to save IMO.
Half Pint

31st Jul 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just put £1300 away a month and the rest is mine to spend after the bills come out.

mattk

31st Jul 08 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just live and buy what I want but very very rarely spend ALL my wages in a week, cause im not spending it all il look at my current accound ballance and think shit theres loads in there and il draw 500 - a grand out and bank it, as a guide I dont like having more than a grand in my current account
MikeE

31st Jul 08 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
I just live and buy what I want but very very rarely spend ALL my wages in a week, cause im not spending it all il look at my current accound ballance and think shit theres loads in there and il draw 500 - a grand out and bank it, as a guide I dont like having more than a grand in my current account

£200 a day man now
mattk

31st Jul 08 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nahhh I wish

the blokes I work with are, Im on the JIB`s training year rate £10.40 per hr

bonus is the same as theirs though
Colin

31st Jul 08 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just go with whatever happens....no set routine, im always saving though!!
Colin

31st Jul 08 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been told once im qualified I could start working abroad on £650 + expences a day but id have no life to spend the money on!!
Robbo

31st Jul 08 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Known Incomings

Less known outgoings

Its not hard

BigSte

1st Aug 08 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm really sad....I've got mine in a spreadsheet which I use every month.... it basically shows my income, less all my bills..... estimates for food and petrol.

I then leave us some spends for the month for random stuff like clothes and going out and the remainder goes into my savings account!

My family and friends laugh at me for how I manage my money and how complex my spreadsheet is with future forecasts and reconciliations but I like to know how much (to the penny) I have
Robbo

1st Aug 08 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even sadder... I use Microsoft Money
jamesw

1st Aug 08 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MS Money FTW!
RichR
Premium Member

1st Aug 08 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've alwasy been quite good with money and saving; he missus isn't as good.

However every month we pay £750 each into our joint account on payday. This account pays all of our bills and motgage which come to about £850.00 a month atm; so every month the amount grows by £650.

We then use this money for the renovation costs and use it to save for bigger items like bathrooms/kitchens/extensions etc

I manage to save about £500-£600 on top of that per month which normally goes straight onto the renovations
AndyKent

1st Aug 08 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigSte
I'm really sad....I've got mine in a spreadsheet which I use every month.... it basically shows my income, less all my bills..... estimates for food and petrol.

I then leave us some spends for the month for random stuff like clothes and going out and the remainder goes into my savings account!

My family and friends laugh at me for how I manage my money and how complex my spreadsheet is with future forecasts and reconciliations but I like to know how much (to the penny) I have

I'm not quite up to it on future forecasts or whatever, but I do have a spreadsheet
BigSte

1st Aug 08 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Even sadder... I use Microsoft Money

How the hell have I never heard of MS Money???? I NEED THIS APPLICATION!
Robbo

1st Aug 08 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It rocks
pow
Premium Member

1st Aug 08 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have two jobs. I am free to spend what comes in on my main job, then save everything from the other a job. Nearly 3k left saved now, less my care insurance (1k)

New Poll