corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Applying for a 0% credit card at the moment...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Applying for a 0% credit card at the moment...
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   19th Nov 08 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to buy myself a new bed and I need a new phone.

So I wanted to apply for a 0% credit card, pay it off where and when i can over the next year.

But I'm hearing people are getting rejected

Will it stain my record if I try and apply and get rejected?
John

19th Nov 08 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People aren't getting rejected because of the time, it's just as if not even easier to get one atm as it always has been.

Getting rejected for one or two won't have an impact, if you're applying for loads and there's a reason you're getting declined that's another issue.
Tommy L

19th Nov 08 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had no problem getting one from halifax. 0% for 10months. Haven't applied for credit or had any credit in the past. Applied online and got accepted and went into branch and got accepted, as i was too impatient with the online one

If you get rejected, it will put a mark on your credit history/rating.
Kathryn W

19th Nov 08 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried to get the halifax one but they said i didnt have enough history with the bank.. both online and going in store came out with his outcome...

Although M&S gave me one straight away..
Tommy L

19th Nov 08 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not enough history with them?

I've never had any sort of account with Halifax. Only bank i've been with is Barclays.
Kathryn W

19th Nov 08 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what they said.. told me to go back in a couple of months i even had an account with them at the time with quite a bit of money in...

And also a child account which i had from about 6...
Graham88

20th Nov 08 at 04:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the deal with these? I've always thought Loan was the best way to borrow money, but these are popping up lately but I know nothing about them, anybody care to give a couple of sentences explanation?
pow
Premium Member

20th Nov 08 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't pay any interest for x months on purchases. Good way to spread the cost of a few hundred quid if the pennies are tight.
AndyKent

20th Nov 08 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
You don't pay any interest for x months on purchases. Good way to spread the cost of a few hundred quid if the pennies are tight.

.....but if for some reason you can't manage to pay off the loan later you'll be stung for 20% (or more) interest.

A loan is safer but you guarantee that you'll pay interest albeit a smaller amount than you MIGHT get on the credit card.
Pete_vxl

20th Nov 08 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would take the card, i sell loans and if you think about it, loan apr's at the moment are about 9.9-19% and most people on here wont have a long credit history to get a low apr. your better getting the 10 months apr free and if you have to go over the 10 months i presume it would only be for about 1/2 months. whereas in a loan your interest starts the month you take it out. also if you want to clear your loan there is a settlement fee, halifax is 58 days interest and on a credit card i dont think you have any fees.

also insurance on a loan is about £30/40 a month and on a card its 40p for every hundred pounds you have i believe.

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by Pete_vxl]
pow
Premium Member

20th Nov 08 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aPk
quote:
Originally posted by pow

.....but if for some reason you can't manage to pay off the loan later you'll be stung for 20% (or more) interest.

A loan is safer but you guarantee that you'll pay interest albeit a smaller amount than you MIGHT get on the credit card.

But I would manage to pay off the loan, no problems!
Tommy L

20th Nov 08 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are a little short one month you can always pay back the minimum amount with a card unlike a loan.
pow
Premium Member

20th Nov 08 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exact-a-mondo
Robbo

20th Nov 08 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
People aren't getting rejected because of the time, it's just as if not even easier to get one atm as it always has been.

Getting rejected for one or two won't have an impact, if you're applying for loads and there's a reason you're getting declined that's another issue.
disagree, chances of gettign rejected now are far far higher than 12 mths ago

And yes each rejection goes on your record but as john says, one or two wont matter
Robbo

20th Nov 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont forget anythign u havent paid off byt he end of the period gets treated as thouh you bought it 12 mths agi and charged accordingly
pow
Premium Member

20th Nov 08 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats fine, I only plan to use it for 4 months or so interest free, then cut the bad boy up.
Graham88

20th Nov 08 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow that's cool, if I applied for one, would I have to use it or can it sit there for a 'rainy day'?
John

20th Nov 08 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by John

disagree, chances of gettign rejected now are far far higher than 12 mths ago

And yes each rejection goes on your record but as john says, one or two wont matter

No they're not, radio 2 I think it was had a thing on about it a couple of weeks ago, it was just as, if not easier, than previously.
Pete_vxl

20th Nov 08 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say its harder to get a loan, in scotland hbos were the worst bank for irresponsible lending to people that basically could not afford it so they have tightened there belts.
Colin

20th Nov 08 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got rejected on a capital one card a month or so ago, instead of a 3k limit 0% for 10-12 months card they instead offered me a pissy 0% for 3 months card, which defeated the purpose of getting it. Ive got a good credit rating. I was told that they search your financial histroy & if they see they arnt going to make any money off you through interest then they decline your application.
John

20th Nov 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was accepted for the virgin 0% balance transfers one last week and the halifax 0% purchases one an hour ago, I never pay any interest and i'm currently technically unemployed.

The decent capital one cars are well known as being difficult to get, for a long time, well before we were thinking about credit crunches and recessions.

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by John]
Colin

20th Nov 08 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not arsed, I just wanted to pay a loan ive got off on a 0% card instead of my 10% loan. Dont want to keep applying though.

Ive got a halifax credit card & had it for years & always pay the balance in full each month.

Im not sure if I can get another off them or if id get declined as ive already got one with them.

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by Colin]
Tommy L

20th Nov 08 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 0% for 10months is only for new customers with Halifax
pow
Premium Member

23rd Nov 08 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Argh... Halifax or Marks and Sparks one?
Liam

23rd Nov 08 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm planing to get 1 of these to buy some alloys for my car, will work out at about £45 a month may even get a HD tele with it aswell...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll