corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » mixing 2 brands of "pre mixed" coolant?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author mixing 2 brands of "pre mixed" coolant?
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
10th Jan 09 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically about a year ago I flushed out my coolant system and put pre mixed halfords stuff in... red summer coolant stuff, supposed last 5 yrs etc.

Anyway I've used all I had now and went in Halfords yest and it's gone up shitloads, 10 quid for 2 litres! Now I wanted stick to premixed saves trying mix my own. Was wondering if I'd be ok using similar stuff from a local motor factors or something in with the Halfords pre mixed stuff?

Cheers all,

Dave
barneykarl

10th Jan 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick to what you have already put in, you can mix brands as long as they are the same type e.g glycol based ,acid based, eco bloody friendly based etc.
Dave McB

10th Jan 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be fine to mix brands, long as they r the same colour!
shaun 16v

10th Jan 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mix it mate as most anti freeze is mixable
Stokie Dave

11th Jan 09 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool so if I aim for another red 'un it should be ok? I'll take note of what the label says on the old halfords one when I pick some new stuff up see if it's similar to hope tis a safe bet

Unless I can get a mate with a trade card whos free before halfords shuts of course!
Stokie Dave

7th Mar 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been meaning to ask.. whats the diff between red and blue? I found a place which does premixed blue stuff for a quid a litre so could flush and start again easily enough but if the red stuffs better (sure someone said it lasts longer?) I may aswell stick to that maybe? lol
Marshall

8th Mar 09 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The red/ pink stuff is OAT (organic acid technology) and generally lasts 5 years, whereas some normal Ethylene glycol antifreeze (blue/ green stuff) only last 2 years. generally OAT can be mixed with other OAT, but mixing OAT with blue stuff may react and make deposits of sludge in your cooling system.

I think the two types of coolant have similar anticorrosion, antifreeze, increased boiling point, and heat transfer properties, it just the lifespan that differs, so its entirely up to you.
Stokie Dave

8th Mar 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that info mate, I'm gonna have a look around for fairly priced red coolant today anyways and just keep to whats in there to save hassle lol.
John

8th Mar 09 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just stick some water in.

New Poll