corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Recovering Encrypted files from a Vista PC

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recovering Encrypted files from a Vista PC
Andrew

User status: Offline
5th Aug 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a Vista PC but user has ticked the box to say do not allow these files available to anyone else. Windows will not boot and there are no Restore Points to restore from.

Looks like files relevant are located in C:\Users\Administrator as Documents and Settings\Administrator also redirects to this location. Cannot access the files using Vista and opening drive, or using Windows 7. Silly cow has lost the origninal disk so can't do a repair.

I'm thinking i need to create a user account the same with the same password, hopefully i can then access the files from the second drive.

Tried Ubuntu accessing the second disk, cannot see any of the files i require.

How can i access these files There are years of photos and documents here and if i don't get them back i'll get no sex for weeks

I've an image of the disk so can mess around a bit.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Aug 10 at 16:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

User-Password wont work as all the reg entries will have unique keys to them. Are you 100% the files are there?
Andrew

5th Aug 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They was there a few weeks back. Not sure what she has done to the laptop since.

Ubuntu reads the disk fine, there are just no files in My Documents, Pictures etc.

Going to blast the image on my own laptop later and try and boot from that. Other than that i can only think of running an undelete program on her hard drive and see if she/a virus has deleted them.

There are photos of her Nan on there who has recently died so she's not going to be to happy if i can't get them back.

Plus, it makes me look stupid if i can't get them back
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
5th Aug 10 at 23:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this different to XP? I did one recently and it was just a case of taking ownership of the folder while the drive was in a caddy in my main computer.

It ballses up the permissions on the Vista drive but if you're flattening it, that's less of a worry.
adiohead

6th Aug 10 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a bit confused by the "second drive" part.

Which drive has the documents?
Andrew

6th Aug 10 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've give that a go Ian, cheers.

adiohead, i've taken an image of the drive so i can make any changes i need to and can go back to the original drive is needs be. This i refer to as the second drive.
Andrew

6th Aug 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That didn't work Ian

Will try blasting the image on my own laptop this evening and booting from that - possibly doing repair off another vista disc. Got a geeky mate coming around for beers so i'm pretty sure we can figure it somehow.

Pissing me off now
adiohead

8th Aug 10 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you sort this?

any chance of looking back on the original disc and not the image?
Andrew

9th Aug 10 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not got around to spending any time on this. Kind of spent the whole weekend pissed

Going to give this another blast once i've tidied up my flat this evening or i'll get shouted at on Wednesday when the missus is back.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Aug 10 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you can access the folders but there are no files in there then they arent there

the end

PS. if it really is because they are encrypted then id give up now as you have zero chance of getting to them

[Edited on 09-08-2010 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

9th Aug 10 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PPS. why dont you just do a repair reinstall of the operating system over the current broken OS

[Edited on 09-08-2010 by Steve]
noshua

9th Aug 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you download a repair disk?
pow
Premium Member

9th Aug 10 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Log into a Vista or 7 machine as the local admin account and try and access the files
Andrew

9th Aug 10 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Can't you download a repair disk?

Will give this a go a search tomorrow when i'm at work.

You know you're getting old when 11pm and you want your bed
Andrew

22nd Aug 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My missus has had me doing things for her all day Pictures in walls etc..

Anyway, had another look at the laptop as well. Looks like the reason it will not boot as the profile for Lisa Marie has been removed. Not seen this before and quite strange. Viruses...

Just asked one of our Linux guys what's the best recovery method for the folder so hopefully will have some news soon.

If anyone has any sugestions this would be great. She's just lost another Nan last week and has those pictures on the machine as well.

New Poll