corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Buying wire - one price or 9495 times more expensive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying wire - one price or 9495 times more expensive
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
27th Sep 10 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take your pick for the same wire.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260669718670

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290469251378

Second one didn't sell, no surprises.
jamied

User status: Offline
27th Sep 10 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crazy what people will pay for wires , bet they have sold some though. Always some fool about
Brett
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone did
Bart

28th Sep 10 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the crazy thing is its only camera cable, not like itsgoing to affect the picture quality or anythng.
John

28th Sep 10 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only a usb cable, it won't affect anything that it can be used for.
jamied

28th Sep 10 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Starlight® USB is the first true ultra-high performance USB digital audio cable in the world.

[Edited on 28-09-2010 by jamied]
ed

28th Sep 10 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What.
pow
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

USB is fucking digital if you use gold or tin foil to transfer the data
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one is flat though so good if your running it under a carpet or want it a bit hidden.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Sep 10 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£100 to have a hidden wire instead of a normal one (which will probably hide just as well)

I expect you have names for all your brushes.
dannymccann

28th Sep 10 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I expect you have names for all your brushes.

I used to have a mate like this
Steve
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now we know where that 1 sale went
Ben G

28th Sep 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ridiculous.
Chris
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They not heard of checksums
ed

28th Sep 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Almost as ridiculous as spending £100 on an HDMI. Stupid people are easy pickings...
Steve
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hammer would definately choose the 2nd one
Steve
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spiel from the website

It's not just 1's and 0's, it's the timing!!
There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses.

The Limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality.

WireWorld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform. At each price level, they provide the lowest jitter available, producing distinct improvements in clarity, image focus, smoothness and dynamic range.

WireWorld USB cables feature a unique flat design that reduces jitter to provide improved sound quality in media server, PC audio, and other digital music applications. Our unique flat cable design not only improves performance, but it allows you to connect digital music devices over longer distances – for instance, a laptop PC across the room from the home theater system.

http://www.wireworldcable.com/categories/usb_cables.html
Hammer

28th Sep 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd choose the more expensive one just to say 'mate my cable is more expensive than your cable'.

Because I'm like that.
ed

29th Sep 10 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't understand what a USB cable has to do with digital audio
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Sep 10 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same. It's like saying you'll get tastier beef if you get it from a pig

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Jas

29th Sep 10 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
Same. It's like saying you'll get tastier beef if you get it from a pig
grab your coat
oceansoul

29th Sep 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
spiel from the website

It's not just 1's and 0's, it's the timing!!
There is a fundamental difference between the transfer of computer data and digital audio signals. Computers are able to transfer digital data without loss, because the data moves in the robust form of blocks, which do not depend on specific timing between the sending and receiving devices. However, digital audio signals are continuous streams of data, which are quite fragile, since the digital processor must remain perfectly locked onto the timing of the signal to avoid data losses.

The Limitations of digital audio processors and cables create timing errors known as jitter, which remove portions of the audio signal and replace them with noise and distortion. Cables tend to round off the square waveforms of the signal, making them less clear to the processor, thus increasing jitter. This rounding effect varies greatly among cables and a truly superior digital audio cable can make great improvements in sound quality.

WireWorld digital audio cables utilize unique designs specifically developed to minimize jitter by providing sharper, cleaner leading edges on the digital waveform. At each price level, they provide the lowest jitter available, producing distinct improvements in clarity, image focus, smoothness and dynamic range.

WireWorld USB cables feature a unique flat design that reduces jitter to provide improved sound quality in media server, PC audio, and other digital music applications. Our unique flat cable design not only improves performance, but it allows you to connect digital music devices over longer distances – for instance, a laptop PC across the room from the home theater system.

http://www.wireworldcable.com/categories/usb_cables.html

I read that on the auction. It made me mega
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Sep 10 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apostrophes on plurals, mid-sentence capitalisation, if that were an assignment I would fail it.

Plus it's complete bollocks.

[Edited on 29-09-2010 by Ian]
Dom

29th Sep 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I don't understand what a USB cable has to do with digital audio

USB Dacs perhaps.

Either way they're trying to sell it based on the age old story of jitter, which is just a load of bollocks. Although it's surprising how many engineers in the pro audio/studio industry say they can "hear" differences in coax digital cables or how a different Word Clock (used to keep digital gear in perfect timing) cable changes the sound of their preamps etc
Dan Lavry has a number of white papers (on his website) on jitter and external clocking vs conversion sound quality, their worth a read if this sort of thing interests you.
pow
Premium Member

30th Sep 10 at 08:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Almost as ridiculous as spending £100 on an HDMI. Stupid people are easy pickings...

My £2.99 HDMI cable I carry around in my laptop bag works just as good as a £100 Chord HDMI cable.. I wonder why this is....

New Poll