corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Emails & Website Hosting

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Emails & Website Hosting
JM_16v

User status: Offline
11th Jan 12 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to register a new domain and have emails come through with it. Is it difficult? i am used to running them through our office server
Whittie

11th Jan 12 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very easy mate, google "Hosting with Cpanel" a load of companies will come up.

Cpanel will make it simple for you.
JM_16v

11th Jan 12 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

such as this http://www.webhosting.uk.com/cpanel-hosting.php ??

cheers
Whittie

11th Jan 12 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup. Buy a domain and hosting package, there's a button in your "Cpanel" called emails, put the address in there you desire, and it'll give you the settings to put on your device.

Give me a shout if you get stuck, shoult be okay though.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look into Gmail, very easy to host with a domain
samole

11th Jan 12 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cmwebhosting are very good. can design the website, host etc
Dom

11th Jan 12 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're after hosting then check out TsoHost or Vidahost (use a mixture for business and personal stuff), both brilliant, cheap and quick response customer service.
Domain's i purchase from 123-reg, namecheap (if it's US based; .com/.net etc) or 1&1 (although their control panel is shite).

If you just need emails then Willay has a good point; just purchase a domain, point it at a free DNS provider like Hurricane Electric (http://dns.he.net), setup a Google Apps free account and point your domain names MX records to Google's servers.
This would save on purchasing hosting; just a few quid a year on domain name.

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by Dom]
ed

11th Jan 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if you do need hosting, I'd still say go for Google Apps for the email side. Even the free version is superior to what you'd get included in just about any hosting package you'd come across. The setup is slightly tricky for a newbie, but Google provides good instructions and walkthroughs for a lot of domain name providers.

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by ed]
ed

11th Jan 12 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, as all the geeks have decided to make a mass exodus from Go Daddy, they've seemed to have dropped their prices a lot lately. I've picked up a couple of domain names lately from them for fuck all
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
If you just need emails then Willay has a good point; just purchase a domain, point it at a free DNS provider like Hurricane Electric (http://dns.he.net), setup a Google Apps free account and point your domain names MX records to Google's servers.

With Domain Monster ( http://www.domainmonster.com ) you can edit the MX records on their website for your domain, you don't need to sign up with some other DNS thingo.

But yes, register a domain name (I highly recommend Domain Monster BTW - I use them for shitloads of domains and their service is excellent on the rare occasion I needed to ask them something), and use Google Apps for Domains with your domain name so you got email, calendar, chat and all that other funky stuff.

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by Sam]
Dom

11th Jan 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

With Domain Monster ( http://www.domainmonster.com ) you can edit the MX records on their website for your domain, you don't need to sign up with some other DNS thingo.

Only mentioned DNS provider as a lot of registrars, 1 and 1 for example, don't freely offer that service. But if you registrar offers it then grand, makes it even easier to set up.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right I didn't know this, TBH I've not used any other registrars for years only DM so I assumed they all offered the same features etc.
John

11th Jan 12 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of the registrars name servers only take an ip address which causes the problems with google apps.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Domain Monster doesn't.

Man I wish I was on commission for them
ed

12th Jan 12 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can use Google Apps with 123 Reg and Go Daddy. Zone Edit provide a free DNS service for two zones if you've managed to register a domain name with someone inept who thinks they need to charge for something that is widely available for free

[Edited on 12-01-2012 by ed]
JM_16v

16th Jan 12 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so i have gone with :

http://www.webhosting.uk.com/cpanel-hosting.php

and have set up some emails. two problems -

1. one is i set the POP3 on my outlook and all the test came back fine but its not showing the emails under my folders??

2. how to i design/upload a site?
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jan 12 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that cheaper than the discounted Vidahost link topped in here?
Dom

16th Jan 12 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
so i have gone with :

http://www.webhosting.uk.com/cpanel-hosting.php

and have set up some emails. two problems -

1. one is i set the POP3 on my outlook and all the test came back fine but its not showing the emails under my folders??

2. how to i design/upload a site?

1 - What do you mean 'My Folders'?
If you've set it up as POP3 then emails will be downloaded from the server and placed into your 'Inbox' folder within Outlook. If you've created folders beneath 'Inbox' then you'll need to set up rules with Outlook to move the mail to the correct folder.

2 - Well you can either use a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver and you can use Dreamweaver's built-in FTP client to upload the files to your server (you'll have all the details).
Otherwise you can do something yourself, learn HTML/CSS/JQuery etc and go at it with Notepad or any other type of editor.
Alternatively design a Wordpress site and with it being cPanel hosting you should have something like fantastico installed on the control panel; so it's one-click to install of Wordpress. Chances are it won't be an up-to-date version however, as most cPanel hosting are stuck with an older version of PHP (ie: PHP 5.2.16, recent versions of Wordpress require PHP 5.2.4).

Edit - Ian, Vidahost is a fair bit cheaper and Tsohost cheaper than that. Webhosting UK wouldn't have been my first choice but it appears they do allow unlimited sub and addon domains, which the other two hosts limit. Although both Vida and Tsohost tend to keep everything updated ie: PHP 5.3 etc.

[Edited on 16-01-2012 by Dom]
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jan 12 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
they do allow unlimited sub and addon domains
Which he doesn't appear to need.
JM_16v

16th Jan 12 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh ok, i thought it would automatically go into sent and exchange etc.

whats the diffrence between that and IMAP?

ok ill try dreamweaver tomorrow

im used to exchange, which i assume is onlyh possible with a private server?

Dom

16th Jan 12 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ahhh ok, i thought it would automatically go into sent and exchange etc.

whats the diffrence between that and IMAP?

ok ill try dreamweaver tomorrow

im used to exchange, which i assume is onlyh possible with a private server?

IMAP requests for a 'copy' of the email, whilst keeping the mail on the server. Where as POP3 downloads the whole email and then depending on options (as you can request that the server version doesn't get deleted), it'll delete the email on your server.

IMAP is useful in that your emails can be accessed anywhere, either via your email client or online webmail. Main downside is that your have limited storage/bandwidth since your shared hosting packages storage/bandwidth limits are shared between website files, email accounts, logs and any other overheads etc.

And you can get Hosted Exchange accounts which is essentially Exchange running remotely on a hosting companies server(s) . For a 25GB mailbox, it's roughly £4 per month (look at Cobweb - http://www.cobweb.com/hosted-services/hosted-exchange/hosted-exchange-2010.aspx).
JM_16v

17th Jan 12 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive already paid to be with webhosting.co.uk so dont want to change for the exchange.

i sent an email from my email which is IMAP and it didnt appear in my sent items on the web hosting.

if i change this to POP will this start appearing in Sent?
ed

17th Jan 12 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've paid for the web hosting. The e-mail is something that hosting companies stick on because it costs them next to nothing to add on and it makes the customer think they're getting value for money. You can get far better e-mail for free (from Google Apps), for not much (from Microsoft Office 365) or not much again from something like Dom suggested.

Get a decent e-mail solution, you'll regret it in the long run if you stick with POP3 and IMAP, they're both shit (totes IMO ovo). You can host your e-mail separately to your website providing you've got access to your domain name's DNS file.

[Edited on 17-01-2012 by ed]
JM_16v

17th Jan 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive already got the email with webhosting and the email with them

its all paid for so have to make it the best i can/

what about the sent files?
Dom

17th Jan 12 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ive already got the email with webhosting and the email with them

its all paid for so have to make it the best i can/

what about the sent files?

Handled by your email client or webmail. They should appear in the 'Sent' folder in outlook

[Edited on 17-01-2012 by Dom]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll