corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » how to determine your line speed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how to determine your line speed?
Wrighty

User status: Offline
5th Feb 12 at 02:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*Essay warning*

iv been with my broadband provider years...since we moved house probably 10 years ago infact never had any major issue but in the last few months we have aquired a few more wireless devices in the house and well...its not doing any favours to the bandwidth speeds.

im 100 yards from our 'small' exchange, theres no chance of fibre anytime soon
i pay about £18 a month for unlimited broadband on a BT line via Demon 'upto 8mb'
my actual speed is 6mb with nobody else using it, line attenuation is approx 6db so not really a problem
i have 2 lines into the house, currently only 1 in use/rental the other was for work

Now iv checked uswitch.com and according to them, high speed (or higher ) is available to me at upto 24mb with an estimated speed of 17mb d/l for my postcode...even better a couple of the companies offering this, i am already with for other things such as orange for my phone & sky tv and these providers can offer higher speed broadband....at about £5 a month with 12.25 line rental..great so i could scrap the demon package and BT line rental and still only pay about £18 a month for seemingly faster internet but i dont wana get this in, and be dissapointed with d/l speeds SO

How the flip can i check for certain, just how much capacity my line or lines can take? is there a concrete evidence way to see what speeds il get?
Cavey

5th Feb 12 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put your postcode in the checker on http://www.samknows.com I think that tells you the maximum available to you(?)
noshua

5th Feb 12 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, gives you a good estimate.

I was with sky, very good
Dave

5th Feb 12 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just switched to Sky, all I had to do was swap the router over on the day they said, rest was sorted by them.

I was getting an average of about 3Mbps and a huge ping on my old Orange broadband, Sky have been speeding this up all week and now stands at 13Mbps. Happy camper.

If you are already with Sky for tv you could free unlimited for 12months. I did and my line rental too.
Wrighty

5th Feb 12 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will have a look at that, sky seems a good deal

New Poll