corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Networking your house

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Networking your house
Tim
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
26th Apr 07 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really don't like wireless (performance/stability) so want to install network points in my new flat (hopefully completing next month).

It's easy to find horrible white plastic network sockets online from business-type suppliers -- does anyone know places that do metal (brushed or satin type finish) sockets that provide sat/fm/tv/network/phone etc?

Like this, but metal:

koolkorsa

26th Apr 07 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found these on ebay - only network points not tv etc. as well. But they look quite decent. Maybe you could contact the seller he might be able to get multi-function points.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Satin-Chrome-Network-Socket-EU-RJ11_W0QQitemZ330112232237QQihZ014QQcategoryZ57215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Tim
Site Administrator

26th Apr 07 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the type of thing -- yeah might try that. I quite like the modular type stuff though (4 modules in a double-gang socket, etc).
Cosmo

26th Apr 07 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try asking on AVForums, almost certain someone on there would of found something similar in the past and be able to let you know where from.
James

26th Apr 07 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RJ11 Socket wouldn't be much good for networking.

Can't see any RJ45 ones?
Tim
Site Administrator

26th Apr 07 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've found loads of RJ45 modules but they're always white bloody plastic

That eBay listing is a bit bizarre -- maybe he was getting a bit confused as he mentions the image is the telephone socket in the same range.

I'll post on AVforums -- someone must have done this with the number of HTPCs around nowadays.

[Edited on 26-04-2007 by Tim]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

26th Apr 07 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something like this might look cool too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Nickel-RJ45-Single-Socket-Outlet_W0QQitemZ300103622247QQihZ020QQcategoryZ57215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

26th Apr 07 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polished-Chrome-RJ45-Twin-Socket-Outlet_W0QQitemZ300103628488QQihZ020QQcategoryZ57215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Apr 07 at 00:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I gave up and went for plastic when I added up the price difference. If you chance upon a combined VGA/twin phonos/RJ45 on your travels then I'm after one of them.
Dom

27th Apr 07 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://electricalsource.co.uk

Spent absolutly ages trying to find a suitable supplier for sockets for my bedroom and wanted an RJ45 socket to match (tried every where including ebay, most of the stuff looks cheap and nasty) and electrical source offered a lot of options - lots of different styles of plates (different steel, metals, woods) and you can even build your own media-plates (again, facias in wood/metal/pastic etc and modules to match).
Plus the MD himself kept me updated with the order (few emails a week) as they didn't have them (my whole set) in stock, so customer service is top notch

Only thing that sucked was the fact they aren't cheap cheap, RJ45 socket is around £11-15 etc.

Bart

28th Apr 07 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i ask how your going to network your house/flat?
I have a new timber frame, 3 bed/3story town house and id really like to network it, but not really sure where to begin.
I didnt really wanna start tearing down plaster boards tbh.
Andrew

2nd May 07 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put an aerial socket in my room back at home. Drilled into the plaster, then cut it away and then dropped the cable down the wall from the loft.

Would like to do it in my flat for aerial sockets too but it's all concrete
baza31

6th May 07 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a look in the MK catalog

New Poll