corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa 1.4 16v sport knocking/rattling

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa 1.4 16v sport knocking/rattling
BenJ-16v

User status: Offline
26th Nov 08 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey, new to the site, but im not new to car forums, been a regular poster over on sax-p for the last year or so im not a noob .

Basically after owing just saxo's since passing my test i decided i wanted something different, cheap to run and insure, so i bought a nice corsa 1.4 16v sport. its been lowered, has an exhaust (not sure on what make) K and N air filter, and a nice sound sytem. Got it for a measly £250,

Its not the bargain i first thought it was tho. On start up there is a slight rattle/knock and it almost immediatly goes. But when revved up to around 2.5k revs its rattles/ knocks again. past this mark its doesnt make a noise but while de-celerating down the lower rev range (2.5k down) its rattles/knocks. then tick over fine.

Any adive would be appreciated. Really like the car, its just to keep me on the road until i can afford a 1.6 16v sport. but i wouldnt mind knowing/fixing this problem if possible.

Regards

Ben
andyc1234

26th Nov 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the cambelt done, tensioners and waterpump as well
swill_omnibus

26th Nov 08 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It maybe some noisy tappets, either check and top up oil or some wynns tappets treatment maybe?

And if your considering a 1.6, then it's cheap enough to buy a complete 1.6 and it's literally a straight swap.

Hope this has helped

PS

Welcome to the forum
BenJ-16v

26th Nov 08 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andyc1234
get the cambelt done, tensioners and waterpump as well

I would have thought the cambelts been done, Its on 102k.

i will check the tensioners and waterpump though, thanks forthe advice.
andyc1234

26th Nov 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was lifters they do it all the time and get louder the more you rev. both my 1.4 16vs were noisy till they had a full cambelt kit on
andyc1234

26th Nov 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no use just changing the cambelt as the tensioners are shite on these engines
BenJ-16v

26th Nov 08 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by swill_omnibus
It maybe some noisy tappets, either check and top up oil or some wynns tappets treatment maybe?

And if your considering a 1.6, then it's cheap enough to buy a complete 1.6 and it's literally a straight swap.

Hope this has helped

PS

Welcome to the forum

Thanks alot

i havnt checked the tappets but i cant see it being them, i have just given it a fresh oil change, seems to have silenced it to a certain extent (no longer rattles on tick over)

i would get a 1.6 16v engine and put it in, but the car was a cat c rite off in 2003 and unfortunatly it doesnt have power steering either,
BenJ-16v

26th Nov 08 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BenJ-16v
quote:
Originally posted by swill_omnibus

Hope this has helped

PS

Welcome to the forum

Thanks alot

i havnt checked the tappets but i cant see it being them, i have just given it a fresh oil change, seems to have silenced it to a certain extent (no longer rattles on tick over)

i would get a 1.6 16v engine and put it in, but the car was a cat c rite off in 2003 and unfortunatly it doesnt have power steering either,

well i dont know what exactly has been done to the car, i cant even prove its had a cambelt change as i have no receipts or anything im only assuming its had a cambelt change.

i may look into further if nobody come up with anything else,

thanks alot
Kenzie

26th Nov 08 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the rattle more of a "buzz" when the revs are dropping??
BenJ-16v

26th Nov 08 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie
Is the rattle more of a "buzz" when the revs are dropping??

hmm no i still think its a knocking noise, more you rev it the faster it gets.

Why what would the buzzing be ?
Kenzie

27th Nov 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a buzzing, at around 4k rpm.

It was a small bracket that connects to the exhaust manifold, at the front. The bolt had come out of it making it resonate at that certain engine speed.

Nothing major

[Edited on 27-11-2008 by Kenzie]
Ben-J

27th Nov 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im afraid mines a little more serious than that , sounds like big end bearings to me. does the vectra 1.8 eco tec drop straight in the corsa ?

New Poll