corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » upgrade my comp for me please :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author upgrade my comp for me please :)
Matt L

User status: Offline
10th Mar 10 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right.... my pc was getting a bit slow lately but i have photoshop cs4 now and now its deathly slow , and its properly so i need to upgrade it soonish i imagine to make it quicker and smoother...

current system is...

- AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4200+ processor
- Asustek M2VTVM motherboard (i think thats the right info)
- 2gb Ram
- Radeon HD 4650 graphics card
- Windows 7 (if that makes a difference)

now i dont want to buy a whole new computer as the graphics card + one of the dvd drives allows me to play bluray films and are relitively new, so i would just like to upgrade the parts that you lot think would make my computer quicker + smoother.

i also think i would need to change the case as mines a mini atx thing iirc but i would quite like it if i didnt have to if that makes sense.

budget wise... 200-300 ideally less but doubt thats possible.
Ste M

10th Mar 10 at 02:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows 7 won't help. I upgraded, and enjoyed it thoroughly. But my games suffered. Also depends on your budget. Quad Core your system. Upgrade th8e RAM an extra couple of gigs (if possible) and the graphics card.
Richie

10th Mar 10 at 03:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That board is microATX so you'd be ok with the case as long as you got another mATX board.

The motherboard you have will only support AM2 processors and not AM2+ which rules you out for X4's/Phenoms.

I reckon you should change over to Intel. Keep the graphics card (depending on how heavy you use photoshop)

Go for (if you can):

Intel Core i5 750 (ranked 45th out of 900 odd)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-i5-750-s1156-Lynnfield-Quad-Core-266GHz-DMI-25-GT-s-8MB-Cache-95W-Retail

ASRock P55M Pro

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asrock-P55M-Pro-Intel-P55-Motherboard-LGA1156

That takes you to about £240 and then you are looking at around £80 for a decent 4gb DDR3 kit.

To be honest though - you should really replace the entire rig or just stick with what you have until you have the money. For an extra £100 you would future proof yourself for a good 2 years by getting an i7 930.

Bart

10th Mar 10 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I generally upgrade my PC around every 12-16 months and out of all the times ive upgraded, I've never noticed such a difference until I put in two solid state disks (raid0).
The difference is unbelieveable.

New Poll