corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Ports and USB-Serial converters

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ports and USB-Serial converters
C2RL R

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 10 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need help from you IT guru's...

I've just got my new laptop at work and it doesn't have a serial port on it. I sometimes need to connect up to drives and PLC's using a serial conection as there is no other way. I bought one of them usb-serial converters and installed the drivers for it. i've just noticed that it has been assigned to COM 7 as 1-6 are being used by something else. this is a bit of a problem as i'm using a software package that only lets me use COM 1-4 for the serial connection to the plc. COM 7 is not in the list.

Is there any way to find out what is using COM 1 to 4? is there anything i can do to change them around without buggering things up?

Cheers!
oceansoul

23rd Sep 10 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What PLC's are you trying to talk to? Alot of PLC's wont like a USB serial port and need a real one.

EDIT: If you go into device manager you can find out which COM port the the USB serial is assigned to.

[Edited on 23-09-2010 by oceansoul]
C2RL R

23rd Sep 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's a direct logic 06 that i'm currently trying to connect to, have you heard of those? it is on a machine that has come from our plant in the states that has been closed. we have others that will be a problem also. mainly Omrons, however most of those can be connected via ethernet so it should be ok. i know about the device manager thing, as i said, it has assigned it to COM 7 as 1 to 6 are being used. i've figured out that 5, 7 and 8 are USB ports. 6 is my bluetooth. i still have no idea what 1,2,3 and 4 are used for. if i could figure that out then i may be able to swap things about. looks like i might have to resort to my old laptop that is a bit fucked!
oceansoul

23rd Sep 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I havent used Omron, but i have used a Direct Logic at Uni. I think for those the USB Serial will be fine, as it just point to point RS232C. For more complex PLC's (Simens S7 or Allen Bradley (which i use at work)) you dont stand much chance with a USB Serial adaptor.

Im sure there is a way to change the Assigned Port.

EDIT: Just read this on t'net.

quote:

Go into Control Panel, System, hardware, device manager. Locate and expand
the ports section. Right-click on the port you want to change and choose
Properties. On the Port Settings tab choose Advanced. In the lower left
is a dropdown where you can change the com port number assignment. Choose
OK back to the desktop, and the device should now be at that location.

Dunno if that will help. I dont have any serial ports on this machine to have a look see.

[Edited on 23-09-2010 by oceansoul]
C2RL R

23rd Sep 10 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've tried that but the only ones i can see are 6 and 7! it's a fucking nightmare...
oceansoul

24th Sep 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only other thing i could think of would be to remove the devices that are taking com 1 - 5 (bluetooth serial modems etc), and the usb serial adaptor, then reinstall the usb serial adaptor. Might make it take com 1 - 5.

Also, im sure i read about a "Virtual Serial Emulator" its software based, and can use your usb adaptor via that. Not looked into that too much though.

You might wanna post on PLCS.net forum. They might be able to help.

New Poll