corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » SMTP bouncebacks

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SMTP bouncebacks
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Feb 12 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a ticket open with the company I use to host my websites, but I thought I'd ask people on here as well about this...

Basically I've got a domain set up on email with IMAP, using the hosting company's SMTP servers on port 26.

For the most part, emails arrive OK at their destinations but sometimes a few will bounce back with a 550 can't verify sender message.

I always thought 550 meant the recipient's mailbox was full, but I guess not in this case.

Any ideas?
Dom

20th Feb 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you saying that some emails reach the mail account and others don't (rather than all emails to that email account are being rejected)? As i thought a 550 meant the mailbox doesn't exist

Edit - Have you tried another SMTP server just to make sure your hosts has got a fault?

[Edited on 20-02-2012 by Dom]
Sam
Premium Member

20th Feb 12 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the weird thing is an email to one particular address got through OK last night, but today any emails to said address are just bouncing back.

Tried another email address they have (on a different domain, and possibly hosted on another server) and that too bounced back.

Test emails sent to my TCR work email address and to Hotmail etc. get there perfectly fine using the same SMTP server.
Dom

20th Feb 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And this is via your hosts SMTP server? Are you able to send mail to their mailboxes using a different SMTP server? It would let you know if the issue is with your host or theirs, although it's a little odd that your getting 550 bounce back errors.
Sam
Premium Member

20th Feb 12 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it is. I don't have any other SMTP servers to use TBH.
Bart

20th Feb 12 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Yeah it is. I don't have any other SMTP servers to use TBH.

Do you have a Gmail account or anything? should be able to use that I would have thought?
Nismo

20th Feb 12 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is'nt 550 relay related? I would presume you would have to receive then send to be authenticated? And why isnt it using hte default SMTP port of 25?
Sam
Premium Member

20th Feb 12 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just heard back from my support ticket, they said the problem was to do with Sky's DNS cache but has been sorted now as they've had loads of other customers reporting the same problem.

Just retried sending that email and it's not bounced back now.

New Poll