corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....

New Poll
  <<  37    38    39    40    41    42    43  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone Thread - iPhone 5 - Who's got one....
Dom

User status: Offline
16th Sep 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Conductive charging would of been a good progression

that is something I would have liked to have seen. Nokia can do it, why can't apple? No doubt the next one will carry it. iCharge

Conductive charging is nowhere near the stage it needs to be for Apple to adopt it. Its ridiculously slow, the phone/pad get very hot, it doesn't work using USB(has to be plugged into mains) and you have to run a wire to the pad anyway which kind of defeats the object as you might as well just put it in the end of your phone.

You've also missed the point of inductive/'wireless' charging a little. It isn't about a phone sitting on a pillow on your desk, rather it's about pushing the charging system to coffee shop/restaurant tables, car dashboards/centre consoles and such like and being able to dump your phone and it'll happily sit there topping up the battery.

Looks like you missed the bit where I said its nowhere near the stage it needs to be for Apple to adopt it, as you've pointed out above.

What stage is that exactly?

Before you suggested that Apple wouldn't adopt the technology because it isn't up to par; yet it quite clearly is, as i've pointed out.
A2H GO

16th Sep 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do current implementations within phones come with a pad/pillow then? The same pad you have to plug into a mains port and take your phone over to, and thus might as well just use a charger.

When, as you point out, car dashboards, kitchen worktops, coffee tables, my desk at work has inductive charging it might actually be useful.
Nic Barnes

16th Sep 12 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ordered mine before although i did it via the upgrade option on car phone warehouse website so i hope its worked properly. i dont want a new phone number.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

16th Sep 12 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why do current implementations within phones come with a pad/pillow then? The same pad you have to plug into a mains port and take your phone over to, and thus might as well just use a charger.

When, as you point out, car dashboards, kitchen worktops, coffee tables, my desk at work has inductive charging it might actually be useful.

how else would you like it to charge? it has to get power from somewhere!
sc0ott

16th Sep 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to feel like a right portfolio manager when i walk into tmobile and buy the 32gb on payg.
Marc

17th Sep 12 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much is it on payg?
Whittie

17th Sep 12 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
How much is it on payg?

About 5 Grand
Balling
Premium Member

17th Sep 12 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Looks like you missed the bit where I said its nowhere near the stage it needs to be for Apple to adopt it, as you've pointed out above.
You're yet again talking shit in a desperate attempt to defend everything Apple does.

How are Apple going to be the pioneers they pride the selves of being, if they wait to use new technology, until it's widespread?

Why on earth would furniture manufacturers install wireless charging in their furniture, if little to no devices utilise it yet?

Adding wireless charging and a charging pillow may not be a giant leap at this stage, but it's the only step to take, if it's a technology we're going to move towards.

How common was the microSIM before Apple put it in the iPhone 4? How common is the nanoSIM? Apple don't wait until the technology is common, they push it out there, that's their philosophy.

A2H GO

17th Sep 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pointed out that inductive charging isn't where it needs to be for widespread, mainstream use and hence 'maybe' the reason Apple have yet to adopt it.

If you have to walk over and put it on a pad thats plugged into the mains, you might as well just plug it in to a standard charger, rather than pay extra for technology that doesn't add any benefit/time saving. Doesn't take much common sence to figure that out.

In 3, maybe 5 years time car dashboards, worktops etc might have conductive charging capabilities(I'm not talking million pound mansions or Bentlys, I'm taking about your average home and Ford Fiesta). At which point it suddenly becomes much more convenient not having to take your pad and cable everywhere with you(which you wouldn't do, you'd just take the standard charger anyway).

Agreed someone needs to start pushing the techonology or it'll never happen but I don't see why everyones having a hissy fit because its not Apple. Don't like it, buy a Lumia.
Nismo

17th Sep 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread is 39 and a half pages of utter toss.
Balling
Premium Member

17th Sep 12 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
You didn't read the pages where LeeM and I, in a scientific manner, proved why 5 is a strange name for it then?

Nismo

17th Sep 12 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No i must have missed that, i will endeavour to go back and read it.
Dom

17th Sep 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
You're yet again talking shit in a desperate attempt to defend everything Apple does.

How are Apple going to be the pioneers they pride the selves of being, if they wait to use new technology, until it's widespread?

Why on earth would furniture manufacturers install wireless charging in their furniture, if little to no devices utilise it yet?

Adding wireless charging and a charging pillow may not be a giant leap at this stage, but it's the only step to take, if it's a technology we're going to move towards.

How common was the microSIM before Apple put it in the iPhone 4? How common is the nanoSIM? Apple don't wait until the technology is common, they push it out there, that's their philosophy.

Thank fuck, thought i was on my own there

Problem is, Ash is getting caught up in Nokia's 'version' and their FatBoy pillow (they've also got a dock but he's failed to mention that) but is completely missing the point and the bigger picture ie: me pointing out Nokia's Coffee Bean deal should have highlighted that.

I do imagine if this was Apple with their inductive charging pads and pillows, Ash's replies would be completely different
ed

17th Sep 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm surprised you can't get a MacBook with inductive charging built in, this is where everyone with a MacBook works right?

On a more serious note, it would be great to be able to rock up at a public space like an airport or coffee shop and be able to use/charge your kit without needing the adaptor

[Edited on 17-09-2012 by ed]
SetH

17th Sep 12 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo

I thought this also.

I do not possess 1337 hax0r knowledge of phones and thought that this might be a useful thread for a layman like myself contemplating upgrading from an iphone 4 to 5.

It appears to just be bickering and lots of I am considerably more 1337 than thou posts

Balling
Premium Member

17th Sep 12 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I'm surprised you can't get a MacBook with inductive charging built in
They decided to fit a battery that lasts for more than two hours of use instead.

Balling
Premium Member

17th Sep 12 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
thought that this might be a useful thread for a layman like myself contemplating upgrading from an iphone 4 to 5.
That's not something that can be summarized easily though, unfortunately.

John is choosing to go for a Galaxy S3 because, as I understand it, he feels it's got a better hardware spec and he wants the full 720P screen. Also, the leap from 4S to 5 is not as grand as 4 to 5. Other than that check his S3 thread.

I'm choosing the 5 as I need a new phone to replace and old 4 and have been happy about the iPhones. Also, the transit from one iPhone to another is just a matter of turning the new one on and downloading the backup. I'm all about hassle free these days and don't want to bother with exporting / importing all my contacts, email, settings etc. Spec list of the 5 seems fine to me and perfectly on par with the current standards.

Ash is choosing the iPhone because, well... Apple.

John

17th Sep 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's correct Balling.

RE contacts, I've always had my gmail account synced as exchange on iphone, so contacts are automatic when I set up the S3. If I wanted to move other stuff it would probably be a rigmarole though.
Dom

17th Sep 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I'm surprised you can't get a MacBook with inductive charging built in, this is where everyone with a MacBook works right?

]http://www.essentialmac.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Starbucks_apple.jpg

On a more serious note, it would be great to be able to rock up at a public space like an airport or coffee shop and be able to use/charge your kit without needing the adaptor

Exactly!

It will eventually happen but it needs a big push from a manufacturer to get it there and although it's a good start by Nokia, they haven't got the mass followers for the technology to really 'take off'.

As said, it really needs someone like Apple but they won't go for a standard due to lack of control rather, as you mentioned Ed, they'll buy out someone elses tech, brand it as their own and stick that in their products.
fazza

17th Sep 12 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out my thread in 'Speculative Sales' I will have some pretty good deals on the i5
A2H GO

17th Sep 12 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed's on the right path with this inductive charging shizzle.

Im talking about today, now, not some future coffee bean deal or concept videos.

If I have a mobile phone with conductive charging capability in my hand right now, what possible benefit/cost saving/convenience/time saving do I have over a standard charger given I've just paid extra for it?

[Edited on 17-09-2012 by A2H GO]
ed

17th Sep 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm saying the same things as Dom
Dom

17th Sep 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ed's on the right path with this inductive charging shizzle.

Im talking about today, now, not some future coffee bean deal or concept videos.

If I have a mobile phone with conductive charging capability in my hand right now, what possible benefit/cost saving/convenience/time saving do I have over a standard charger given I've just paid extra for it?

Did you miss Balling's post? Or are you actually mentally slow?

Let's be honest Ash, you're so blinkered by Apple that you'd be furious wanking into that FatBoy pillow and all the wireless charging glory if Apple stuffed it into the iPhone 5
John

17th Sep 12 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza
Check out my thread in 'Speculative Sales' I will have some pretty good deals on the i5

Couple I checked look exactly the same as direct from the network?
SetH

17th Sep 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
I'm choosing the 5 as I need a new phone to replace and old 4 and have been happy about the iPhones. Also, the transit from one iPhone to another is just a matter of turning the new one on and downloading the backup. I'm all about hassle free these days and don't want to bother with exporting / importing all my contacts, email, settings etc. Spec list of the 5 seems fine to me and perfectly on par with the current standards.

echoes my thoughts exactly so I will probably follow suit, my contract is up November.

<<  37    38    39    40    41    42    43  >>

New Poll