corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » home networking problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author home networking problem
Demo

User status: Offline
   26th Oct 07 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got myself a new laptop yesterday and a wireless router to set up a home network with the desktop we got here

ive set the network up and it works fine but for some reason i cant copy the files from the desktop onto my laptop over the network

do i have to set any proxy settings or anything like that? or am i doing something else wrong?
like i say i can see the files, i just cannot open them or copy them over the network to a new destination

laptop is on vista and desktop is on xp (sp2) if that should make any difference. but i cant see why
pow
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Enable file and printsharing on the laptop and desktop.

You know how?
PaulW

26th Oct 07 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you can see the files, then f&p sharing is already enabled...

Could be one of the many 'security features' which tend to fuck alot of things up on vista, or it could also be a permissions problem on the XPsp2 pc.

On the XP pc, make sure your giving permission to fully access the files and not just list (right-click, Properties, Security)... I guess the usernames and passwords are different on both machines, in which case you need to elevate the permissions for Everyone, OR just match the usernames and passwords on both computers.

[Edited on 26-10-2007 by PaulW]
Demo

26th Oct 07 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

file sharing is enabled. ive given the laptop every permission it needs even to the extent of being able to modify files on the xp machine

still no joy though

fucking vista is too clever for its own good imo
Demo

26th Oct 07 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

managed to get around it now

rather than trying to drag files onto my laptop (vista) from the desktop (xp) i have copied files across to laptop using the desktop

dont understand why it works one way and not the other though
Steve
Premium Member

26th Oct 07 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres options in vista network settings that you turn on fir things like allow access to files and folder etc

New Poll