corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Any ESXi/VSphere people in the house

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any ESXi/VSphere people in the house
Aaron

User status: Offline
29th Aug 12 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got this post up on other forums, but i thought i'd post it in here as well, as i know others use this technology.

So, I've bought a new server for home, and tonight, i installed ESXi 4.1 Update 2 on it. Following on from that, i installed VSphere on my PC..so that i could then start installing virtual hosts. All fine so far. I've set up a couple of server with no issues.

The problem has come when I've tired to register VSphere, so that the 60 day trial doesn't expire. Here's where i might be getting confused. I was told that ESXi is free, and that the version of VSphere i'm using is also free (but you need to register it before 60 days have elapsed). So far, when i've used the serial number which VMware have given me to register VSphere, the error returned is that the serial number has already been registered. I then created a new Vmware account, and got a brand new licence key, however, when i tried to use that one...it also said that it had already been registered

Am i missing something here??
pow
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I ask why EXSI? Is it for work? I've got HyperV server 2008 on a couple of boxes and it's beautiful to work with?

Sorry i can't really be of much help!
Aaron

29th Aug 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simply because a lot of the places i work at use ESXi
pow
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough... Sorry I can't be of any use!
Aaron

29th Aug 12 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs. Got it sorted now after having a good search through the Vmware forums. Turns out i was looking in the wrong place to enter the license key
Aaron

29th Aug 12 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For anyone searching for this answer in the future, here's the article which sorted me out:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/233871
John

29th Aug 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just had to drive into work because a shitty esxi5 server didn't reboot.

If there's an HP build that won't need a licence key, Dell builds already have it entered because it's free anyway.

ESXi is brilliant pow, tonight is the first problem like that I've had and I've got loads of them.
John

29th Aug 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Key works in as many as you want also.
pow
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose is what you're used to. I like using HyperV with a remote console, beauty over VPNs as well
John

29th Aug 12 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I VPN in and just connect using vsphere. Unless something is broken or I need to change a VM setting I don't really have to touch the host again.
Rob_Quads

29th Aug 12 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've been using ESX for a while at work and it is very good. Very mature product that has been doing many features for years that are only just appearing in Hyper-V.
I would almost they they are the defacto standard for virtualisation in the work place
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Aug 12 at 08:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ESX pisses all over Hyper-V!

New Poll