corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » f20 synchro issues

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author f20 synchro issues
alistairolsen

User status: Offline
7th Jun 06 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a cally 16v with 84k on it as a donor for a corsa project. The car was driven home and despite to slightly sloppy gearlinkage had no problems changing gear.

The engine and box and driveshafts were removed from the car and lay unused for about two months in the garage. No shafts in the box.

The engine was then fitted tot he car and the car was put on the road. It had no problems chaging gear while manouvering in the driveway. The linkage was set using the drill bit method in haynes and works perfectly.

I put it on the road and warmed it up and took it for a drive, first time I went over 3k and tried to change it wouldnt chage up. If you let the revs fall till they match it slots in with no issues. On the downshift you have to double clutch it or it wont change.

I assumed the synchros had gone sticky and simply needed fluched out with some degreaser, so rather then drop the box out the car I flushed it out with petrol, refilled it with petrol and drove around a bit at low speed with plenty of gear changes. It still wont change gear, and behaves exactly as above.

Before I drop the engine to change the box, has anyone got any good ideas. How can a perfectly good box loose all its synchros overnight? It doesnt whine, all the gears are there.

Sorry about the essay, cheers.
ainsley_brader

7th Jun 06 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the problem isin more than 1 gear i would be looking at clutch.
I presume when you said you refilled it with petrol you did mean gearoil?

I also assume you used ep 80/90 or semi syn 75/90 not atf or aqm

[Edited on 07-06-2006 by ainsley_brader]
alistairolsen

7th Jun 06 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, I meant petrol! Best degreaser going if anything sticking and boxes are fine with no oil in for a short while (my panda did 6 years and 700miles of offroad abuse and showed no signs of giving up)

I thought clutch, but ive adjusted the cable so that when pushed in the release arm is as hard in as poss, you cant lever it any further with a tyre lever at all. If the release bearing had collapsed it would be noisy, so i can only assume that the clutch must be moving clear (cant check as its a gay pot type flywheel)

It was filled with ep80 gearoil to the correct level before it went back onto the road and hasnt worked since.
ainsley_brader

7th Jun 06 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many gears do you have problem with?

Your panda wouldnt have had the temperatures off road to cause a problem. Hammer your 2.0 down the road for 50 milesand i know it will do some damage.
How many miles have you done with the oil back in as the synchro rings rely on a film of oil to operate!
alistairolsen

7th Jun 06 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a problem with all of them.
ainsley_brader

7th Jun 06 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its going to be clutch!
alistairolsen

7th Jun 06 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its done about 15 miles since I filled it with ep80.

I have to say I think its clutch related, but I just cant see how. Only thing is if the release bearing is sticky and its providing some drive even when the plates are seperated. Whatever, its a box off job now.
X 60RSA

8th Jun 06 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it like when you blip the throttle before changing gear, any easier to get into gear at all?
alistairolsen

8th Jun 06 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i mean by double clutching mate.

It looks like the clutch isnt sliding freeliy on the input shafts, and providing a little drive to it even when released.

I assume the input shaft can be withdrawn like in the smallblock boxes?

New Poll