corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Previous owner debt?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Previous owner debt?
Tiesto

User status: Offline
12th May 07 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parents have bought a flat, but have got a letter through from the management company asking for over £3000! in outsanding fees that the previous owner didn't pay!

Do they have any legal obligation to pay this as its not their debt?

This is what the letter states:

"We note your comments regarding the outstanding service charge bills on your flat, technically ,once you purchase the flat you acquire ALL the legal and financial obligations attached to it. The outstanding service charge bills on your property have been passed to you. Your solicitor should enquire from the vendors solicitors if any money was retained in respect of this. Basically, it is the duty of both solicitors to agree a retention sum for such matters."

Will be discussing with solicitors monday, but that is ridiculous.

Any one out there know the legal standing on this, just for their ease of mind really.
John_C

12th May 07 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they cant pursue you for the debt. Service charges will be charged from when you moved in not from the previous people. Ring them, give them hell, they'll go away
stubbsy05

12th May 07 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I bought my Flat, my solicitor picked up on £2800 of fees oweing by the vendor. They paid this from the sale when I purchased the flat.

I'm sure your solicitor you used should have picked up on any outstanding fees.
GT4Brody

12th May 07 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i sold my flat, i had to pay £200 in case any bills came in after i moved for the period i was living there, some did, only got £120 back....8 months later!
GT4Brody

12th May 07 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like you might be liable, i would have thought your solicitor should have picked this up? could be their fault...
Tiesto

14th May 07 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems solicitors knew about this thankfully and we are not liable, heres their reply.

"There is no danger of you being liable for any outstanding service charge that existed before you purchased. I have raised this with the sellers solicitor who accepted that his figures given to me on completion were a little out of date (through no fault of his though) and we was dealing with it, ie collecting back from his client their share."

Will have to wait and see.

[Edited on 14-05-2007 by Tiesto]

New Poll