corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » BSOD After Virus - UPDATE in 6/7th post

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BSOD After Virus - UPDATE in 6/7th post
dannymccann

User status: Offline
16th Jan 10 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally I can sole this sort of stuff myself but this one has got me

Vista laptop - please dont suggest 'should be on XP / 7', it came with Vista and it will die with it.

I had that shitty 'Internet Security 2010' virus, what a pain in the arse that is proving to be. Basically I used MalwareBytes to try and eradicate it and it said it needed to restart comp to delete on boot cos keys are in use. So I let it do this and ever since I get BSOD STOP 0x00000024 (NTFS _FILE_SYSTEM) just after the 'running bars' of booting.

Ive tried all the safe modes, last known good and normal boot. The bundled 'Vista Repair' stuff also doesnt work.

Thing is it was working one minute then I run MalwareBytes and all of a sudden my hard disk is corrupted, I really dont fancy a rollback as its got stuff on it I want. Im going to try a restore in a minute and if that doesnt work I plan on installing XP to the second partition to try and delete internet security.

Chkdsk has found no problems as well, currently using the Windows memory diagnostic tool to have a look at the RAM, will keep updating this thread as I do stuff.

Cheers

[Edited on 16-01-2010 by dannymccann]
Brett
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rolling back doesn't lose your personal data like docs, mp3s, etc.
Doug

16th Jan 10 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Rolling back doesn't lose your pirated data like films, mp3s, etc.

Edited for accuracy.
Sam
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounds like the file NTFS.SYS is corrupt.

Try and boot (off a Vista book disk/CD etc.) and run CHKDSK /F /R, see if that sorts the problem.

The NTFS.SYS file is located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers by the way.
dannymccann

16th Jan 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chkdsk /f /r doesnt find anything wrong.

Ive resigned to a factory restore, however I cant do this as the Acer MBR is now corrupted somehow so I cant use E-Recovery or the Factory reset options from F10 on boot

So Im currently in the process of unlocking PQSERVICE to find the backup copies of the MBR's to install (im not actually unlocking this partition so the virus can get in there, im copying it into some unallocated space and going to use, safest (but slowest) way) as this website has been very helpful, apart from the PTEDIT32 which doesnt seem to work http://www.ipconfig.co.nz/blog/post.cfm/can-t-access-acer-d2d-recovery
Sam
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What version of Vista you got? I can send you my NTFS.SYS if that helps (Vista 32-bit SP2).
dannymccann

16th Jan 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would probably be quite helpful, im currently trying to reinstall the Acer MBR from PQSERVICE (cmd prompt mbrwrwin install rtmbr.bin) and it really isnt having it, when I F10 on boot all it gives me is the option to boot into Vista, its really starting to do my nut in now You have u2u sam
dannymccann

16th Jan 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, Ive finally got the laptop back up and running again - but on a borrowed copy of XP Pro.

I tried reinstalling the e-Recovery thing straight away and now its letting me use it, so I go to use Factory Default (using the PQSERVICE partition) and it still isnt having it, it says it will overwrite everything on Drive C and then reboots but just boots back up into Windows.

Have I fucked it good and proper now
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jan 10 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best thing to do, if you have the Vista license key/COA on the base of the laptop is to 'obtain' Vista from a special shop and use your license key with it, that way you still have a legal version of Vista but without the added crap Acer install with it.
dannymccann

17th Jan 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what Im thinking of doing, but I dont have any software (nor do I want any of it on my computer) anymore to do this downloading....I assume my Home Premium COA will not work my dads Ultimate version
Sam
Premium Member

18th Jan 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try it mate, just did a quick Google search and it seems all Vista DVDs have all versions on them, it's just the license key that unlocks the version you've got:

http://www.vistax64.com/software/225030-install-home-premium-using-ultimate-dvd.html
dannymccann

18th Jan 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ I wish I knew that, father-in-law had one in his hand over the weekend offering me to use it

New Poll