corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Xbox E74 Error

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Xbox E74 Error
A1EX

User status: Offline
30th Jan 11 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else had this come up, not the same as the red ring of death that i had on my old machine, this brings up an actual error message. Its out of warranty and living where i do is a pain to send it off so i wont be doing that. Any ideas?

Cheers
Kurt

30th Jan 11 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.xbox-360-repair-center.com/e74/

Gpu solder has melted

Are you actually in Thailand? I was gonna say u2u loafofbrett, he can repair them
A1EX

30th Jan 11 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh i live here, i imagine there's a few places that could do it here if thats the problem, i was just insure what exactly is wrong, and all the online guides you have to pay for
Brett
Premium Member

30th Jan 11 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo just buy a slim, they're cheap enough now. You can get the 4GB one and just steal the drive off your old one for it.

Cheers for the mention tho, Kurt
A1EX

30th Jan 11 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh if i was in the uk i would, prob being buying them over here they are all ntsc and all my games are pal except the ones that are multi-region
A1EX

30th Jan 11 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh its only 1 red light, bottom right hand corner ?!?
Brett
Premium Member

30th Jan 11 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right, that's something different. Try starting it up without the HDD plugged in, see what happens.
Brett
Premium Member

30th Jan 11 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that doesn't do anything, try unplugging the power and AV then replug in and retry.

If those fail then give me the secondary error code....
quote:

Turn the xbox 360 on, and wait till the 1 red lights is flashing.
Press and hold the sync up button (the small white one), while holding that button press the eject button.
The LEDs will now blink the first number in the code (as described below).
Release the eject button and press it again.
The LEDs will now blink the second number of the code.
The LEDs will now blink the third number of the code.
The LEDs will now blink the forth number of the code.
The LEDs will go back to the 1 red flashing light.

[Edited on 30-01-2011 by loafofbrett]
A1EX

30th Jan 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried the above, and still got the one light, so did the code and what i got was 1,4,2,2 if thats how you're supposed to decipher it, going off which light was blinking
cheers for the help
Brett
Premium Member

30th Jan 11 at 14:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That translates as error 1022, as 4 lights is 0. Unfortunately it'll need to be opened up and repaired for that one Only thing you could do is try overheating it which'd buy you some more time, from an hour to a couple of weeks.

Otherwise if you can get hold of a torx screwdriver set , some M5 screws/washers and some thermal paste then you could try fixing it yourself. Ideally it needs reballing, but on these old ones it's really not worth the money now.

E74 is covered by Microsoft for 3 years tho, I'm guessing it's older?

[Edited on 30-01-2011 by loafofbrett]
A1EX

30th Jan 11 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right, i really dont know if i want to buy another lol this is my second, ah well. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I think ive got some of them screwdrivers around ill see if i can give it a go fixing it, no harm in trying.

Yeh it's in warranty but i checked their site and they dont have Thailand on their list of countries

[Edited on 30-01-2011 by A1EX]
Planty02

30th Jan 11 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sent mine off for an E74 a while back. MS replaced the motherboard and DVD drive but now the DVD drive is faulty
Brett
Premium Member

30th Jan 11 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Planty02
I sent mine off for an E74 a while back. MS replaced the motherboard and DVD drive but now the DVD drive is faulty

I can fix those too
Planty02

30th Jan 11 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just install the game to my hard drive these days. Don't really play on it much to be fair
Gareth

31st Jan 11 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 1 with an e74 error and was told the nand chip is faulty, unsure if this is correct though
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 00:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na, it's not. E74 is never anything to do with the flash, usually the HANA chip if anything, which can be fixed with pennies (which might fix alex's problem actually).

E09, E64, E72 & E80 can however have something to do with a corrupt flash for one reason or another.

You need to take your xbox elsewhere imo

[Edited on 31-01-2011 by loafofbrett]
Gareth

31st Jan 11 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm not nand chip then although i seem to remember it being a graphics chip on the edge of the board. Had rrod fixed then got the e74 error a few months later.
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 02:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that's the HANA chip
A1EX

31st Jan 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pennies ?
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. Have you found a torx set?

When you open up the xbox, you can see the HANA chip towards the back left underneath the DVD drive. That chip will have come away from the board a bit. So, you get enough pennies, 4 or 5 I think and either tape or glue them together. You then wedge those between the DVD drive and the HANA chip, then once you screw all the case back down it'll put pressure down on the chip pressing it against the boards, and bob's your uncle!
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

....that might not necessarily be what's wrong with yours by the way, but there's a good chance.

Once the box is opened you could actually turn on the xbox and just press down on the chip with your finger first to see if it makes a difference.
A1EX

31st Jan 11 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh i see, right ill give that a shot when i dig out the old mans torx set, i know theres one around somewhere
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it's T8 you need to open it all up iirc. You'd need T5 if you wanted to take the board out too, but you won't need to for this.
A1EX

31st Jan 11 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, ive found a walk through on taking it to pieces in the correct way, ill let you know if that sorts it cheers
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 11 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be easy enough taking it apart. Back end can be hard without the proper tool. Just bend it right over pulling both sides away from each other. It'll feel like it's gonna snap but it won't

Main thing is just make sure you undo the right screws on the bottom and not pop the board out because there's no need. Think it's 6 in total.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll