corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » HELP NEEDED! MYSTERY NEED SOLVING BEFORE ACCIDENT!!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HELP NEEDED! MYSTERY NEED SOLVING BEFORE ACCIDENT!!!
matt_aka_smiler

User status: Offline
15th Sep 09 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I OWN A TIGRA WITH A X14XE ENGINE. RECENTLY MY CAR HAS HAD TROUBLE STARTING, SOMETIMES ITS FINE AND OTHER TIMES ITS DYING AND I HAVE TO KEEP MY FOOT ON THE ACCELERATOR. I'VE TRIED CLEANING THE ICV, THE EGR VALVE HAS BEEN CLEANED, CLEANED THE SAI PUMP AND NEW SPARK PLUGS WHICH WHEN CHANGED CAME OUT BLACK BUT WERENT CRACKED.

NOT ALWAYS BUT MOST OF THE TIME ITS STARTED JUDDERING IN 1ST, 2ND AND 3RD GEAR. IT STALLS VERY EASILY WHEN SLOWING DOWN AND MOVING OFF.

ITS BECOMING VERY DANGEROUS AS I LIVE IN THE COUNTRYSIDE AND ITS BEEN CUTTING OUT A LOT ON JUNCTIONS WITH BLIND BENDS AND I'M VERY AFRAID IT MAY LEAD TO A CRASH SOON. I CANT GET TO WORK WITHOUT MY CAR. MY COUSIN WHO ALSO HAD A TIGRA RECENTLY CRASHED HER CAR ON A ROUNDABOUT AFTER IT CUT OUT ON HER AND SHE WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS AS ME BUT IT GOT WROTE OFF BEFORE SHE COULD GET IT IN THE GARAGE.

REALLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME
SARAH
alan-g-w

15th Sep 09 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not to be a dick or anything, but if you don't write in caps you'll get more responses.

Have you tried having the fault codes read on it? Next thing I'd try would be the air flow meter, sounds like the symtoms from it being faulty.
matt_aka_smiler

15th Sep 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you.... My boyfriend did say the first thing anybody would say is CAP's and he was correct. Didn't know they were offensive, its just capital letters. I use capitals in my job and just find it easier Sorry. :-)

I havent had the fault codes read as the engine management light hasnt come on at all. I dont have an air flow meter but a air temperature sensor.
stingray1987

15th Sep 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds just like when my egr valve went but that sent the engine mangement light on. to be hounest it could be a number of things and if u take it a garage they will say keep running it till it gets worse so they can pinpoint it.

looks like your going have to go with process of elimination. first off id check the egr valve doesnt need cleaning as if it is that its a FREE fix. then there is a sensor by your airbox (dunno wot its called) pull that out the tubing thing and clean it. if not any of them id try replacing the lambar sensor in the exhaust. sorry say it but it could be one of about 10 differnt things and most of them are sensors.
Richie

15th Sep 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it idle OK?

If it idles ok and doesnt fluctuate that much, I would say the speed sensor may be worth a look especially if its cutting out during driving.

If idling is erratic I'd say an air leak/MAP fault.
stingray1987

15th Sep 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you keep having problems get intouch with jenko_sport he is top notch with corsa/tigra engines and see if he can help you out, if he got time that is. will be cheaper than going a garage. he sorted mine out when i had an air leak on one of the vacume pipes that made the car run really slow. so check that aswell all the vacume pipes havent come loose or any of the joins cracked and leaking air.
alan-g-w

15th Sep 09 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by matt_aka_smiler
Thank you.... My boyfriend did say the first thing anybody would say is CAP's and he was correct. Didn't know they were offensive, its just capital letters. I use capitals in my job and just find it easier Sorry. :-)

I havent had the fault codes read as the engine management light hasnt come on at all. I dont have an air flow meter but a air temperature sensor.

I never once said I was offended, just that your chances of a decent reply would be better.
Ant B

15th Sep 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lambda sensor mine went last week done exactly the same thing
barneykarl

15th Sep 09 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any eml , black plugs could point to faulty lambda, replace it and see.
matt_aka_smiler

15th Sep 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would a faulty lambda not show up on an MOT as its had one quite recently with these problems present
stingray1987

15th Sep 09 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no on a MOT they only check the exhaust for leaks and then the emissions that come out the end of it so in one word. NO lol
matt_aka_smiler

16th Sep 09 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you all for your replies, i am having the lambda replaced today and will let you all know if it works. :-)
Richie

16th Sep 09 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My understanding is that the lambda sensor wasn't utilised until the engine has warmed up...?
stingray1987

16th Sep 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im no expert but the lambda sensor tells the ecu to adjust the fuel/air mix. this would still be the case if engine was cold or hot.
Richie

16th Sep 09 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.picoauto.com/applications/lambda-sensor.html
stingray1987

16th Sep 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see where it says about it getting hot but it is screwed into an exahust im shure it wouldnt take long to get to temprature. that would make sence tho as my car idles high when first turned on in the morning for a few mins and then acts normal so this might be it switching to the lambda
Richie

16th Sep 09 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I mean....

Therefore I can't see the lambda having an involvement in the starting problem and using the accelerator to sort it
stampy_54

16th Sep 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lambda sensor and catalyst's usually take about 5 miles to be working correctly. problem sounds to me like it could possibly be a blocked egr valve but it is strange that there is no management light on
stingray1987

16th Sep 09 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also if it was and egr valve blocked it wud cut out everytime then revs went low. i did say its going be process of elimination trying one thing at a time but if you are working on the car cleaning sensors ect i would defo clean the egr valve as it is going to give you problems in thr futre if its not now its a crap design glad i blanked mine off.
chrex

16th Sep 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the lambda sensor works from turnover, thats the idea of the SAI. it pumps air into the top of the exhaust and fools the lambda into thinking it needs more fuel...which it does. but only for a couple of minutes from cold start-up. Richens the mixture up to allow the engine to warm quicker...essentially like a choke.
Richie

17th Sep 09 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but the idea being from cold it wouldnt be able to generate any voltage signal regardless, so wouldnt really be causing the starting problem.
stingray1987

17th Sep 09 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know you say the egr valve has been cleaned but are you shure its working correctly because it is the exact same symptons that mine gave me when my egr valve got blocked open by a shard of metal out the block. i blocked off the egr valve and its fine now untill i have time take off the head see where the shards of metal are coming from. just get emlight at high revs now.
matt_aka_smiler

17th Sep 09 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure im going have a look at the weekend whilst changing the lambda, whats the easiest way to get the egr off?
stingray1987

17th Sep 09 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remove the batery and the header tank of the cooling system to get to it. its in the lower inlet manifold bhind the tb.
Richardhhha

17th Sep 09 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh its a shit to get to, and when removing it be carefull as it has TORX bolts and they have a tendency to round off if you arnt on them 100%

for a visual aid on how to remove or get to the EGR valve i say follow Warren G's tutorial to fitting a powerbox

How to fit a powerbox by Warren G

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll